Wednesday 22 April 2009

What is a line project final resolutions.

This brief has been handed in now so this is a catch up post on the work I did in the final weeks of this project.
First up a test piece that I quite liked, a 3D lettering experiment with strips of paper

CIMG3548-blue-line.jpg CIMG3548-blue-line.jpg picture by mitch20vt
The photograph was enhanced somewhat in photoshop but I wanted to keep it looking fairly natural.


blog1.jpg blog1.jpg picture by mitch20vt

This is the piece that eventually became the insperation for my final resolution, hand cut lettering in 3D


CIMG3622.jpg CIMG3622.jpg picture by mitch20vt

I realised that the shadows that were cast if I got the light at the correct angle added an interesting extra dimention to this so I played around with this photograph...


lineup.jpg lineup.jpg picture by mitch20vt

...And created this by tracing in illustrator. I was pleased with this, it has an unusual visual effect.

what-is-a-cutout-1.jpg what-is-a-cutout-1.jpg picture by mitch20vt


This was another test piece using a different photograph as a starting point and Photoshop to enhance rather than Illustator. At this point I was worried I was straying too far from the brief and decided to create a whole typeface in this cut out style.


letterssheet.jpg letterssheet.jpg picture by mitch20vt

This was the result, I liked this but I didnt want to lose the 3D element. I was desperatly running out of time by this point so I couldn't cut out and re-photograph these as I would have liked, so..


angle2.jpg angle2.jpg picture by mitch20vt


...I created this in photoshop to give a shadow/3D effect, this was actualy far more tricky than I thought because of the way vector objects are handled, but I wont go into that here. This is the finished resolution and I am happy with it because I feel this type design really developed for a reason, they are letters designed to cast a legable shadow when cut out. An odd reason but a reason all the same!



No comments: