Sunday 22 March 2009

What is a line project update.

Well, I have done some work for this project (honest Amber!). I have been heavily influenced by an excellent book: 'Playful type' that I just knew I had to buy as soon as I picked it up. I was meaning to post up some of my fave works from the book, but its actually difficult because I like the whole lot! So I will just link to amazon and say this is a MUST buy if you are into hand made and creative letter forms. (its also now cheaper than when I bought it grrr)

Anyway moving on. This is a piece I created the other week that I have just got round to finishing in photoshop today. Its pretty self explanatory, I was playing around with string and drawing pins to use as a continuous line to spell out words, I have gone for an extreme high contrast black and white style to highlight the stringiness and take out the background, (well I know what I meant)
Not all the letters are very clear because of the joined up style with the 'A's being the biggest problem but it was only ever a test piece and I have since moved on so something which I think is going to be far better.


Finally, 
This is by far the best thing I have seen today: This guy is making a series of musicians portraits out of just unwound cassette tape, I dont know if he has a web site but he seems to be putting them all up onto his flikr account. Bod Dylan is my fave so far.


Found here

 

1 comment:

SARAH FRANCE said...

hey paul!

thank you for dropping by and leaving me a comment

using different material is always a unique approach and i can see here that your well on your way - great piece and it is nice to see you've been inspired by what is around you and by what you are seeing - the musicians portraits being one of them!