Thursday 19 March 2009

Hangnail brief

"Pick a number between 1 and 1001."
This brief started simply enough, until we realized that the number corresponded with an entry in the book ' How to do 1001 things'. This brief has to be admired for its ingeniousness, but I was less than happy with my pick: 'How to Avoid Hangnails'.

It did take be a while to find an angle on this that interested me, but in the end I am satisfied with my resolution. After a couple of false starts I decided to go with the visual language of health and safety posters to bring awareness to hangnails problems in an ironic way. This seemed to suit the problem well as the solution is simple (moisturising helps prevent hangnails), and the problem itself is slight on the great scale of things.

The evaluation crits were very usefull with the main point coming across that I really should have taken these out into real situations and photographed the posters as they might be seen, rather than have the posters themselves as my final resolution. This is a very good point and something I should do with these. 

My finished posters:

No comments: