Wednesday 25 February 2009

What is a line: rethought and reloaded.

Well... I came to a bit of a dead end and got a bit fed up with this brief but we organized a mini crit yesterday and now have a completely new direction! Amazing, a crit that worked! I was going to base this on long exposure and photography but the sketches I was doing were all typographical so I am now going to explore that instead. Luke gave me a great tip: http://www.artyulia.com/index.php/Illustration# (The images won't copy over so you will have to click to the site) Some great work using paper curls to make 3D letterforms, that bear a resemblance to my sketchbook letter doodles, so I am going to try to see what I can make using strips of paper as my 'line'. I think this will be quite a neat interpretation of the brief if it works, and something much more crafty that I would normally try to do.

Also I am still going to have a go at pixel stretching as an alternative solution, Gareth has started some interesting work but has since moved on in another direction for his project. I want to at least learn this technique even if it leads nowhere for this brief. (click for gareth's blog post)
(Main inspiration: pixel stretching Designers Republic style, nice!)

No comments: