Friday 13 February 2009

Module OUGD102 Self Evaluation.

What practical skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

The main practical skill I have learnt is how to use InDesign. I have enjoyed working with this program and feel the skills I have learnt will serve me well in the future. I have also greatly improved on my Photoshop skills and I think I am now quite good at enhancing photographs ready for print and I have done this over 100 times for this module alone! I have also developed a good understanding of how to best convert colour photographs to black and white by manipulating the separate colour channels and adjusting shadows, highlights and mid-tone contrast. Again skills that I enjoyed learning and I will will serve me well.

The other main skill I have improved on is researching and categorizing research, for this project I feel I handled quite a large body of research in an effective way by keeping things well ordered right from the start.


What approaches to methods of problem solving have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
The what if brief was very good for developing problem solving and I feel I have applied many of these techniques for my final 100 book brief, It helped my focus my research and have a more targeted and better categorized outcome.


What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
This module has confirmed for me that one of my main strenghs (and enjoyment) is in using photography. I am also usually more pleased with the results of my photography than any of my other work. I do want to develop other skills but I feel I want to be incorporating photography into my work where I can.


What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?
I still feel I don't always experiment enough in my work, and I find this hardest when under pressure to complete to a deadline, nearly all the time! I am not sure if I can address this but it is something I am now aware of in my work.


Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
1)Be more realistic about the amount of work that can be effectively completed in the time period.
2)Try to experiment more with the outcome rather than use an obvious solution, (not easy!)
3)I wont try to plan, design, layout and bind a 120 page book in 2 weeks ever again! It didn't all get done despite long, long days. Enhancing so many photos was the biggest mistake here, 10-20mins per photo soon added up when I had 100 to get through.
4)I feel I got the research aspect of this brief about right but I didn't do enough actual designing for the end result, this was partly the focus for the module I think but I still feel the final result could have been better, again this was a time issue.
5)Try not to get distracted when I should be working, the larger the workload the less I feel inclined to get going! Very worrying and doesn't bode well unless I can tackle this and stay focused and positive about the work.


Are there any things we could have done differently that would have benefitted your progress?
Some of the days I felt I was hanging around waiting for crits rather than working, it would have been nice to know the crit times the day before so I could plan days more effectively. This was also more painful because I didnt feel I got effective feedback from crits until the final one on the day before submission when it was too late to change anything, very frustrating.


How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(5=excellent, 1=poor)
Attendance: 5
Punctuality: 5
Motivation: 4
Commitment: 3
Quantity of work produced: 4
Quality of work produced: 4 for the photos, 2 for actual design
Contribution to the group: 4

No comments: